Healthy Schools Peace Corps Volunteer in Guatemala since February 2013

Tuesday, September 3, 2013

San Francisco El Alto, Totonicapán

I took a short bus ride to the market town of San Francisco El Alto which I am telling you gives San Francisco in California a run for it's money in terms of steep streets. Anyone who shops in this market on a regular basis must have calves of steel. This market is regarded as biggest and most authentic market in Guatemala. In the couple of hours that I spent there I feel like I only covered a small portion of the market. The many shops and streets filled with street vendors sold mostly clothes and typical cloth, fruits, vegetables, etc.

About a 45 minute camioneta ride away from the city center of Xela (Quetzaltenango), it is a totally doable short day trip. When I visited there I was the only 'tourist' there and it seemed to me that the prices reflected this. It is a market for Guatemalans although you still might get charged 'el precio gringo' the gringo-foreigner price.

Hats for sale
Steep street

4 comments:

  1. Maybe you could introduce the locals to a Cadbury Jaffas roll down one of those steep streets. A new tourist attraction to bring more gringos to the market--and hence higher profit margins for the vendors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year down there in Guatemala. I am quite sure they have never heard of Rosh Hashanah there so I thought I would send you our wishes for a sweet , happy and healthy year.
    Love the "Hats For Sale" pic and wonder if there are monkeys in the trees and a peddler selling them for 50 cents, just like in our book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos Meg and I'm like Janis - the hats for sale photo reminded me of that great children's book. I always liked that book. I've always wanted calves of steel. Guess I should head to San Francisco El Alto. Mom

    ReplyDelete
  4. My gosh, what a colorful country. Great pictures and commentary.

    ReplyDelete